How many of you have gone apple picking and come home with enough apples to feed the neighborhood?
I eat 1-2 apples a day, one at breakfast, and usually another sometime before 3pm.
Apples are my fruit husband, and we are never getting divorced.
As I stood in my kitchen, pondering ways to use up 2 bushels of apples, one recipe came to mind that I knew would be a hit. It is sweet, comforting, full of fiber, and the perfect breakfast to have throughout the week.
Get ready for your kitchen to smell like your favorite Bath and Body Works candle.
Crock Pot Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats
- 2 cups Organic & Gluten Free Steel Cut Oats
- 4 cups of water
- 4 cups Organic Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 4 medium cortland apples; peels, cored, and chopped (you can use other varieties of apples as well. I love adding a Granny Smith!}
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon, plus more if desired
- 1 tsp Allspice
- 1/2-1 tsp organic vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
- 2 long strands of lemon zest, remove after cooking
- Spray your crock pot with coconut oil spray, or whatever you have available, and place all ingredients inside.
- Cook on low for 8, then place in a glass dish to store in the fridge throughout the week. In the morning, add your toppings!
Topping Suggestions :
- 1/2 Tbsp Nut Butter
- 1 Tbsp Walnuts, Pecans, or Slivered Almonds
- 1/4 cup Fresh Berries or 1/2 Sliced Banana
- 1 tsp Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Coconut Flakes
I love keeping my oats simple, adding just a spoonful of almond butter to melt on top with a bit more cinnamon. I also like to stir in some vegan protein if I am eating this post workout.
This is the perfect Fall inspired breakfast that can cook overnight, or throughout the day. Breakfast, lunch, snack or dinner, it is delicious eaten hot or cold. A perfect go-to for the upcoming chilly weather, that also makes your kitchen smell like home.
Stay full. Stay FIT! xo